Art on Superyachts
Who is This Course Suitable For?
The course is fundamentally aimed at those:
Wanting to work in this area
Wanting to increase their knowledge and responsibility in this area
Working in conjunction with this area and require a good working knowledge or it
A good working knowledge of the industry is of an obvious benefit, but not essential.
12 – 18 months
12 in total
About the Course
Successfully caring for prestigious objects presents interior crew with unique challenges. Equip yourself with the knowledge and practical skills to care for art collections and luxury design on board superyachts.
This course will give you up to date practices in arts management as well as on a yacht. Topics covered will include an art history and art market overview, environmental considerations, handling and transport, plus important legal export issues with art in international waters. You will be introduced to art as a fundamental feature of the luxury sector and will gain insights into its rich and diverse nature.
The course consists of 12 modules. All students are required to successfully complete and pass the module assignments. Diploma students will also be required to sit and pass a final examination.
1. An Introduction to Art and its relevance in today’s world
- Context and art appreciation
- Timeline – key periods and figures in art history
- Style and vocabulary
2. Histography and Iconograph
- A paintings’ journey through history
- What is iconography and why it is important
3. The Importance of Art in society
- Why art history is important
- Art colleting and UHNW individuals
- Philanthropist and patron
4. The art market
- The financial side of the art market
- How art is bought and sold
- The influential players in the art market
- How fine art traded
- Packaging and handling
- Art fair – auctions – consignments
6. Environmental management for art
- The prevailing atmospheric environment
- Conservation on yachts
7. Media and materials
- Mounting and framing
- Acidification of paper
- White water anti reflective glass and Perspex
9. Art Insurance
- Art insurance policies
- Title insurance
- What it is and the relevance to art
- Reproduction licenses
- Reproduction rights, artists copyright, moral rights, resale rights
- Reproduction and licenses
11. Art Forensics
- Laboratory testing
- Art due diligence
- Authentication of art
12. Export Risks
- Cultural Goods Regulations
- The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES)
- National Treasures Regulations
Stewardess – chief stewardess – purser – ashore into management
Purser €6,000 to €7,000 per month
- Understanding the importance of the correct care and management of high value art on behalf of Owners, which will save on some very expensive and embarrassing mistakes.
- Running all aspects of the yachts administration on board including certification, crew list, crew travel, all record keeping, Captains secretary and paperwork on logistics.
Meet the Course Director
Director of Pandora Art Services
Pandora Mather-Lees is an art historian with over 20 years’ experience in the commercial art sector working with galleries, museums, auctions houses, art-related platforms, logistics, education and a range of professional art organisations and is Director of Pandora Art Services consultancy.
As Head of Commercial Development with Hedley’s Private Client Logistics, Pandora established their art division. Working down in the South of France, she realised that significant risk was taking place moving art from yachts around the world. It was then she decided to create a course to educate the superyacht industry in relevant art matters.
She has been training the stewardess community and superyacht industry through workshops, courses, one to one training and lectures since 2017. Throughout this time she has gained knowledge of the hazards besetting crew who are burdened with the responsibility of major art collections.
DIPLOMA IN ART ON SUPERYACHTS
On passing the Diploma, you will receive the above icon. Please use it on your business cards, LinkedIn profile and website(s)!
You can also use these letters after your name: MTA Dip AOS
While the nature of distance learning is independent study, we recognise the importance of support. Students can contact us at any time during their course for assistance and our team of industry experts are always on hand for advice.
We have over 50 industry experts writing, developing and advising on our course material. We truly believe that allowing students to tap into their expertise and knowledge is of the utmost importance to fulfil your dream career.
If you would prefer to complete this as a classroom-based course, please contact us.
How long do the courses take to complete? What's the difference between a Diploma and a Certificate? Read through our Frequently Asked Questions below to find out the answer.