Who is This Course Suitable For?
This Superyacht Pursers Diploma is particularly aimed at all interior crew members. It is designed to provide a clear career path progression route, with the ultimate goal to move ashore with a recognised professional personnel management qualification.
12 – 18 months
10 in total
About the Course
The Superyacht Pursers Diploma will teach you the essential elements of the role of a superyacht purser on a day to day basis. With this Diploma you will develop a much wider knowledge of the superyacht industry as well as the more detailed aspects of what a Purser needs to do in order to be outstanding as part of the management team on a larger superyacht. The learning you will gain should enable you to fulfil your job role as a Superyacht Purser to its maximum potential with greatest efficiency.
Module subjects include the role of the purser, superyacht operations both routine and emergency, crew management, accounting and budgeting, the regulatory environment in which you work, port clearance, charter operations, destination management and travel and logistics
The course consists of 10 modules. All students are required to successfully complete and pass the module assignments. Diploma students will also be required to sit and pass a final examination.
1. History of the Superyacht Industry and where we are today
- An Introduction to the Industry
- History and background to the Superyacht Industry
- Regulations and Flag States
- Superyacht Standards
- Classification societies and the role of Class
- Different levels of regulation
- The role of the yacht manager
- Industry Associations
2. The Role of the Purser
- Where does the purser fit in the yacht’s crew structure?
- What are the main heads of department responsibilities on a day-to-day basis?
- Typical duties of the purser
- What role does the purser play within the yacht’s emergency organisation?
- What role does the purser play in dealing with guests?
- Time management
- Record keeping
- Effective Communication
3. Budgets and Accounting
- Financial Policy
- Cash Management
- Internal Controls
- Charter Accounting
- Value Added Tax (VAT)
- Brexit and VAT
- Corporate Ownership
- Anti Money Laundering
- Bribery Act
4. Crew Management
- Superyacht crew and shore support
- How superyacht sizes and use impact the crew
- Typical crew day in a charter yacht
- Maritime Labour Convention
- Crew contracts
- Disciplinary procedures
- Crew induction
- Crew development
- Crew Management
5. Essential Law and the Superyacht Regulatory Environment
- Legal Concepts
- Maritime Law
- Role of the Charter Manager
- Charter party profile and preferences
- Safety and security
7. Destination Management
- Know your stuff
- Destination research
- Sources of information and the importance of being correct
- Creating an Itinerary: understanding the client, giving that something extra
- Guest activity management
- The influence of weather
- The importance of planning
- Visas, vaccinations and permissions
- Managing media both social and the paparazzi for either privacy or promotion
- Environmental concerns
8. Travel and Logistics
- Corporate travel policies
- Booking travel with an agent
- Travel finance and accounts
- Travel profile form
9. Port Clearance
- Yacht Agents
- Crew List
- Customs and Immigration
- Mediterranean Cruising
- USA and Caribbean Cruising
10. The Pursers Role in Superyacht Operations
- Routine Operations
- In harbour
- At sea
- Refit and lay-up periods
- Emergency drills
Meet the Course Director
Managing Director at Maritime Services International
Ian has led MSI to become one of the world’s leading surveying companies. Ian’s qualifications include: Master Mariner, RYA Yachtmaster Ocean, Naval Architect (BEng Ship Science) and Business Management (MA Business Management).
DIPLOMA IN SUPERYACHT PURSERS
On passing the Diploma, you will receive the above icon. Please use it on your business cards, LinkedIn profile and website(s)!
You can also use these letters after your name: MTA Dip SYP
While the nature of distance learning is independent study, we recognise the importance of support. Students can contact us at any time during their course for assistance and our team of industry experts are always on hand for advice.
We have over 50 industry experts writing, developing and advising on our course material. We truly believe that allowing students to tap into their expertise and knowledge is of the utmost importance to fulfil your dream career.
If you would prefer to complete this as a classroom-based course, please contact us.
How long do the courses take to complete? What's the difference between a Diploma and a Certificate? Read through our Frequently Asked Questions below to find out the answer.